Magnolia residents will see changes to home garbage and recycling services, including a new pick up day and increased charges, starting Monday (3/30). Information was mailed last week and the city called most homes to let them know about their new pick up day. If you need more information click here or call (206) 684-3000.
Households will see an increase in monthly costs for garbage pick up. for example, a house with a 32-gallon can will now pay $22.30 per month for garbage service compared to $17.65 last year
The new recycling changes include:
• Weekly food and yard waste collection for all single-family households.
• All food scraps can go in your food and yard waste cart, including meat, fish and dairy.
• More food and yard waste cart sizes.
• More paper, plastic and metal items can be recycled, including cups, deli trays, aluminum foil, and plastic plant pots.
• Glass bottles and jars go in your recycling cart – no more separating.
• Electronics, used motor oil, and bulky items can be collected through special services.
The goal is to divert 60 percent of all generated waste in the city to recycling or composting by 2012.