Updated 6 p.m. An 91-year-old woman died early this morning in a fire in a single-family home at 1926 Clise Pl. West in Magnolia. Neighbors say that the woman lived alone.
Firefighters responded at 5:12 a.m. and discovered the house well-involved in flames. Neighbors told rescue crews that an elderly woman lived inside. Firefighters performed a search and rescue, and found the woman in a bedroom, said spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick. “She was unable to survive the smoke and flames,” Fitzpatrick said. Investigators believe that materials placed too close to a baseboard heater sparked the fire.
This is the home here, which is difficult to see from the street. When firefighters arrived smoke was pouring from the front door. The fire department said that ice on the stairs also posed a challenge for firefighters. About 40 firefighters responded to the fire and one firefighter suffered minor burns and was taken to Harborview for treatment.