Seattle's Magnolia Neighborhood News Blog

FOLLOW US
Magnolia Voice header image 2
 

Thanksgiving day fire in Magnolia leaves 1 dead

November 25th, 2010 · 6 Comments

Updated 6 p.m. An 91-year-old woman died early this morning in a fire in a single-family home at 1926 Clise Pl. West in Magnolia.  Neighbors say that the woman lived alone. 

Firefighters responded at 5:12 a.m. and discovered the house well-involved in flames. Neighbors told rescue crews that an elderly woman lived inside. Firefighters performed a search and rescue, and found the woman in a bedroom, said spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick. “She was unable to survive the smoke and flames,” Fitzpatrick said. Investigators believe that materials placed too close to a baseboard heater sparked the fire.

This is the home here, which is difficult to see from the street.  When firefighters arrived smoke was pouring from the front door.  The fire department said that ice on the stairs also posed a challenge for firefighters.  About 40 firefighters responded to the fire and one firefighter suffered minor burns and was taken to Harborview for treatment.

Tags: Uncategorized

  • Colleen

    I’m so sorry to hear this. My heart breaks for her family.

  • Leslie

    Very sad, indeed. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

  • Regret

    Sad Thanksgiving news.

    I do want to commend the Voice for having better information than the Seattle Times on most of the goings on in the neighborhood.

  • panama

    This might be a family friend can anyone tell me if she was panamanian?

  • nina

    Sad news on this thanksgiving morning.

  • Rebecca

    The 24 was rerouted this morning because of that. But on the way back from downtown about an hour ago, I saw the remains of the house, albeit them being obscured by five fire trucks (a few of which were long ladder trucks).