This is an early reminder that all Seattle Public Library branches will be closed from Aug. 27-Sept. 3 for a furlough, to help the system save $613,00 due to budget cuts. SPL’s 620 employees won’t be paid that week. That week was chosen because it’s in the summer when school is not in session and library use is generally lighter. Most Library services will be unavailable during the one-week closure.
- Materials will not be due and no fines will be charged.
- Book drops will be closed.
- Access to the online catalog will be limited. You’ll be able to search the catalog and check your library account, but you won’t be able to place any holds.
- No meetings or events will be held at any library branch.
- Email a librarian or chat with a librarian will not be available.
Library patrons will still have access to online databases such as Britannica Online, Mango Languages, and Consumer Reports; as well as more than 34,000 items in the digital collection, including e-books and audiobooks, song titles and downloadable movie titles.